Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Pan-Fried Stuffed Squash Blossoms with Lemony Walnut Ricotta

ooh...shiny.
Pan-Fried Stuffed Squash Blossoms with 
Lemony Walnut Ricotta.
stop showing off, summer.
I've never really been one to succumb to impulse purchases while grocery shopping. I try to approach the wall of delicious chocolatey/ crunchy things one must pass through before getting to the cashier with a "don't tell me what to do" kind of 'tude. I am cheap and I can make most of this stuff my damn self. I don't need to spend a dollar on your impossibly tiny square of dark chocolate, Co-Op. So there.
And those $7 bags of raw kale chips? Don't even get me started. 
But the farmers' market is a whole 'nother story. I never fail to get distracted by shiny, new, delicious things and if those things are affordable, all the better. When these ridiculously photogenic squash blossoms caught my eye on the way out of the farmers' market yesterday I HAD to have them.
And only three dollars for 12 of the most gorgeous flowers you ever did see?
No self respecting, produce loving cheapskate could pass that up.
I plunked down some cash and made them mine.



piping walnut ricotta into blossoms.
filled.

Pan Fried Squash Blossoms with
Lemony Walnut Ricotta
(makes 12 stuffed blossoms)

1 bunch squash blossoms, about 12, 
preferably with stems attached

3/4c raw walnut pieces
1 clove garlic
2Tbsp nutritional yeast
1Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2tsp mellow white miso
1/2tsp ground sea salt
1/4tsp cracked black pepper
1-2Tbsp water

2-3Tbsp olive oil, for frying
extra lemon juice and black pepper for garnish.



fried blossoms with stems trimmed and ready to serve.


Cover raw walnuts with filtered water and soak for one hour.

Gently wash squash blossoms and allow to dry, leaving stems attached.

Add drained soaked walnuts, garlic, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, miso, salt and pepper to the bowl of a food processor. 
Add water gradually, until mixture is smooth. 
Spoon walnut mixture into a piping bag fitted with a standard sized tip.
If you don't have a piping bag, simply spoon the mix into
a small ziplock bag and snip off a corner.
Pipe a small amount of ricotta into the center of each blossom, about 2-3 teaspoons.
Once done, you can snip off most of the remaining stems, I like to leave about half an inch behind, this makes it much easier to turn the blossoms
in the frying pan and to serve them.

Pre heat a medium sized skillet over medium high heat (non stick works best) 
with a small drizzle of olive oil.
Add blossoms 2-3 at a time. 
Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned and lightly crisped.
Remove from heat and place on paper towels to blot.
Serve warm with a splash of fresh lemon juice and a dusting of cracked black pepper.

Side note:
I choose not to batter these before frying, but am thinking a mix of flax seed, water and coconut milk + a cornmeal dredge would be fantastic. 
Stay tuned, I'll be testing that theory soon.

cheap-ass approved.



2 comments:

  1. I follow you on the ole IG. And whenever I remember to come check your blog out on my actual computer where I can see things in more normal size, I remember how awesome it is that your header reads 'music-fueled and plant-based.' You are such a winner!! I believe that if everyone could just slow down and keep it fresh, the world would be a better place. Anyhow, now you have me interested in those squash blossoms. Everything you post makes me hungry. So just wanted to say hello from the other end of the internet :) If you live in so cal, we should definitely arrange a food + music fest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an extraordinarily flattering comment, you're making me blush (and grin like an idiot) over here! And thank you so much for taking the time to say hello!! I get so many comments on IG but it can get a little lonely over here on the blog...nice to know someone's out there! I LOVE LOVE LOVE what you said about slowing down and keeping it fresh- may adopt that as my mantra ;) Now you've got me wishing I wasn't an east coaster because a food + music fest sounds like pretty much the best thing ever. xoxo

      Delete