Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Strawberry-Balsamic Stoneground Cornmeal Muffins

live in the (berry stained) now.
Strawberry-Balsamic 
Stoneground Cornmeal Muffins
strawberries in all things because they are everything.

It recently came to my attention that I've been approaching this whole strawberry thing wrong for a good portion of my adult life. Call it something of a culinary epiphany. Each year I dutifully drive to the u-pick, spend the better part of an afternoon plucking perfectly ripe little gems straight from the plant, haul my pounds and pounds of berries back home and proceed to jam and can for what feels like days. Because of this my pantry shelves look mighty impressive, and I always have holiday gifts covered, but I eat shamefully few strawberries during their sadly brief season. As this summer began, I took stock of my still jam-packed (that's a pun, mind you) larder and decided NEVER AGAIN. Too much damn jam and not enough berries in my belly. This year I'm making a change. No more unnecessary self-denial.
Strawberries in/ on/ over all the things until there are no more. 
I'm living in the berry-stained moment.





Strawberry-Balsamic 
Stoneground Cornmeal Muffins
(makes 1 dozen medium muffins)

1c stoneground cornmeal
1 1/4c whole wheat pastry flour
1/2c unrefined sugar
1Tbsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1/2tsp finely ground sea salt
2tsp apple cider vinegar
1.5tsp vanilla extract
2c fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
1Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1c unsweetened non dairy milk
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4c canola or other neutral oil
extra sugar for dusting tops of muffins


Pre heat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
Combine quartered strawberries and balsamic vinegar in a small bow,
stir to coat and set aside.
Whisk together dry ingredients (cornmeal, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, sugar) in a large mixing bowl.
Add non dairy milk, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and oil.
Stir until well combined.
Gently fold in balsamic coated strawberries. Do not over mix.
Fill lined muffin tins 2/3 full and dust tops with a pinch of extra sugar.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until tops are lightly browned
and a tester inserted into center comes out clean.
Transfer to cooling rack.


now is the only moment that matters.








2 comments:

  1. Tried these over the weekend. SO GOOD! Love the texture of the stoneground cornmeal contrasted with the strawberries. <3

    ReplyDelete