Monday, November 26, 2012

Momufuku Soy Pickled Shiitakes

pickles n' punk
Soy Sauce Pickled Shiitakes 

Today I decided to listen to some Fugazi and pickle some things. Sometimes you can't fight the urge, you know? I believe punk to be the perfect pickling/canning music and I'd like to think David Chang would agree. So in honor of the great Ian MacKaye, and with all credit to Mr. Chang, I give you my adaptation of Momufuku's soy sauce pickled shiitakes.
Soy sauce pickles??
Pure genius.



Now, I'm not going to order you to make these immediately, but I will strongly encourage you to do so. A handful of these tossed into a big bowl of white miso with rice noodles is one of my go-to meals year round.
I've also added them to many a noodle dish, both cold and hot.

Perfect every time.

If possible, get yourself to the local Asian grocery for ingredients. I purchased an 8oz bag (that is a LOT of dried mushrooms) for $8.00, as well as my ginger and soy sauce (always good to have on hand).
Stock up!
Trust me, you'll be making this recipe again very soon.
 
Soy Sauce Pickled Shiitakes 
(slightly) adapted from Momufuku

3 Cups loosely packed dried shiitakes (pre-sliced or whole caps)
1/2c vegan organic sugar
1/4c unseasoned rice vinegar
1/4c apple cider vinegar
1/2c tamari or soy sauce
2 small 1/2" knobs of ginger, peeled

Place dried shiitakes in a large bowl, cover with hot water.
Allow to rehydrate for 15-30 minutes.
Once mushrooms are softened, remove from liquid.
Remove stems and, if you have whole caps, cut into 1/4" thick slices.
Take liquid and pour through a fine mesh strainer to remove any debris and set aside.
In a medium saucepan combine vinegars, sugar, soy sauce and ginger.
Add in mushroom slices and 1c of the reserved cooking liquid.
Stir gently to combine.
Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce and gently simmer for 30 minutes.
Allow mushrooms to cool in the cooking liquid then pack into a glass quart jar.
Add enough cooking liquid to cover.

Your pickles are ready to eat now (hooray!) but will also keep for
at least a month in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment